Monday, October 26, 2009

Scary Halloween Chocolate Covered Strawberries


Halloween is known for candy, costumes and tummy aches. I know that when I was young my Halloween candy lasted maybe a week. I would eat so much candy I would be sick. So now that I am older and wiser, I am always trying lower calorie alternatives to the traditional candy treats. I was debating between caramel apples or chocolate covered strawberries and my craving for chocolate won out and I made chocolate covered strawberries. This is a healthier option for kids, but moderation is key, if you are trying to cut back on calories have just one and you will have the satisfaction of eating something delicious, without adding too much to your waistline. I posted the calories below. It was loads of fun coming up with cute and scary ways to decorate each strawberry. I took them to a party and they were gone so fast, the combination of white and milk chocolate with a hint of almond and mexican vanilla extract was delectable. You have to try this recipe. It's good and fun to make...can you really ask for more? :)

You need

  • Wash strawberries and gently pat with paper towels until completely dry. In a microwave-safe bowl, add almond extract and vanilla extract to chocolate then melt chocolate chips and shortening at 50% power; stir until smooth.
  • Dip strawberries in chocolate mixture; place on a waxed paper-lined baking sheet.
  • In a zip lock bag melt white baking chocolate; cut a small corner of the bag, then squeeze the air out and draw a spooky designs on each strawberry . Yield: 2-1/2 dozen.

Nutrition Facts: 1 strawberry equals 54 calories, 3 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 2 mg cholesterol, 8 mg sodium, 6 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.


To see more of our All Natural Totonac products visit www.arizonavanilla.com

No comments: