Thursday, December 3, 2009

Caramel Apples - The Perfect Holiday Gift (in my opinion)


Apparently I am in love with apples lately, because I sure have been eating and cooking a lot with them :) That being said I found some caramel apple containers and I knew that I should make caramel apples for my neighbors and friends for Christmas gifts. Once I decided that was the gift to give this year, I could not wait to get them done...so on December 2nd I went out and bought loads of candy and sweets to top the apples. So of course as soon as I got home I got going on my caramel apples. I cheated and bought caramel candies and melted them in my crock pot, then I got some semi-sweet chocolate chips and added a teaspoon of Pure Mexican Vanilla Extract and 1/4 teaspoon of our Pure Almond Extract, which by the way adds such an excellent flavor that really makes a difference...mmmm...it's so good, then after adding some vegetable shortening I melted the chocolate concoction in the microwave. I put my topping into containers and got going with the fun stuff. Make sure that you use sturdy sticks that will bear the weight of the apple. Dip your apple in the caramel be sure to give it time to drip before you roll it into the topping and set it on the parchment paper to cool, just if you get too much caramel your toppings might end up on the bottom of the apple. You can top them with crushed oreos, crushed nuts, mini chocolate chips, peppermint sticks, m&ms, mini marshmallows....the possibilities are endless, have fun with it.

After decorating, let them cool for at least 5 minutes. Then you can put them on a paper plate or in a nifty container and then you can put them in a bag add a card and they're ready to be delivered.
With my holiday gifts done for some of my neighbors and friends, I'm just left to wonder, am I doing this too soon?!? It is only the second and I'll deliver them on the third.....well I'm glad to have that almost checked off my list, but I am sure I will think of another excuse to make more treats for the people I love over the Christmas season. I love the holidays, in case you hadn't noticed. Caramel Apples are an inexpensive way to share holiday cheer with your neighbors and friends. Using the Totonac vanilla and flavor extracts made it taste so delicious, you have to try it.

No comments: